Regulation to enter the European Union with pets

Regulation to enter the European Union with pets

The passage of pets across the borders of almost every country in the world must conform to very strict regulations that seek to preserve the health of its inhabitants. Let’s get to know the regulation to enter the European Union with pets.

Yesterday we talked about the importance of adjusting to what is allowed when we try to enter food to the member countries of the European Union. Today we will see that the transport of our pets, also has very defined rules to take into account.

Pets are separated into 3 categories for the purposes of the regulations:

  • Dogs, cats, and ferrets
  • Birds
  • Other species

Dogs, cats, and ferrets

In any of these cases, our pets must travel accompanied by a veterinary certificate or passport according to species. We can travel with up to 5 copies without considering a commercial item, but the attention that if we do it with a primate, this is reduced to only one.

The entry into the European Union of dogs, cats and ferrets under three months and therefore not vaccinated with rabies is prohibited.

Pets from: listing A

These pets, which come from other countries of the European Union, from Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland or the Vatican ( the Pope’s cat? ), Must have their European Passport or Veterinary Certificate, identification by microchip or tattoo and vaccination against rabies in force.

In the same situation are the pets that come from other countries, specifically talking about rabies vaccination. Here you can see the list of these countries.

Pets from: list B

If the country of origin from which the pet travels does not appear in the previous detail, it must be included in the travel documentation:

The European Veterinary Certificate or Passport (if reintroduction), microchip identification, current rabies vaccination and evaluation of rabies antibodies.


Within pets, poultry is never considered and must always follow some of these conditions, in addition to having a veterinary certificate and a declaration from the owner:

  • Insulation period 30 days before your trip or
  • Upon introduction, 30-day quarantine in an authorized facility or
  • Vaccination and revaccinated with H5 vaccine (in the last 6 months and at least 60 days before displacement) or having remained isolated 10 days before export

Other pets

If you want to travel with your python, or your monkey or the armadillo you have as a pet, you must correctly check the conditions to do so.

In principle, you will need the same basic documentation: a veterinary certificate issued up to 10 days before the trip. But attention, both the trip with primates and reptiles require specific documentation.

In all cases, you can search for more information on the website of the Spanish Ministry of Environment.

We also recommend that you carefully read the European standard that serves as a framework for these cases after the appearance of the Avian Influenza epidemic.

Author Image

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *